Infotextblast


Saturday, March 8, 2014

5 more brgys in Negros Oriental declared insurgent-free

BY: BY JENNIFER C. TILOS

DUMAGUETE CITY, March 7 (PIA) --The Area Clearing Evaluation and Validation (ACEV) Board has declared the five barangays in Guihulngan City as “insurgent-free and development-ready” after passing in the parameters prescribe by the joint letter directive by the army and police.


Barangays Tacpao, Bulado, Calamba, Hilaitan and Basak, all of Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental are cleared from insurgents, army’s information officer Capt. Crescencio Gargar reported.

The ACEV Board composed of the representatives from the Philippine Army, Philippine National Police, and local government unit of Guihulngan evaluated the said barangays under the implementation of Internal Security Operation (ISO) campaign plan against communist terrorist movement.
The ACEV reports of said barangays were issued and signed by the members of the board   at TESDA Hall, Poblacion, Guihulngan City.

According to Capt. Gargar the five barangays had been previously infested by the New People’s Army (NPAs) that hampered the government’s development efforts in the   areas.

“Its constituents were the common targets of the extortion and liquidation activities of CPP/NPA. But the active and untiring support of the LGUs towards the efforts of the Bayanihan Teams of 11th Infantry (Lapulapu) Battalion deployed in these barangays finally brought positive changes to the community,” the army official said.

Gargar added “Although some expressed apprehension and fear, many of the residents support the initiatives of the government and the military to prevent the entry of insurgents in their barangay. Indeed, with peace paving a way for development, the people living in those communities will have a better chance to uplift their living condition.”

During the declaration, Col Christopher Estella, Deputy Brigade Commander of 302nd Brigade and the chair of ACEV said that peace and development are always two sides of a coin, as barangays are cleared from NPA influence, "we expect that development will always follow. However these barangays will continue to face serious challenges, if these issues are not properly addressed with the right approaches.”

The convergence of the government efforts and active participation of the LGUs will preserve its  gains through unhampered delivery of basic services and eradication of issues that may fuel the insurgency in the area, said Col. Estella.

For his part, barangay kagawad Glicerio Bulado of Hilaitan said that frequent visitation of the local government especially in the remote sitios of my barangay will surely gain the support of the populace and reject the ideas of violence or armed struggle.
Meanwhile, Brigadier General Francisco Patrimonio, Commander of 302nd Brigade said that more barangays in Negros Oriental will be declared insurgent-free as the military continues its Bayanihan operations in the province where the insurgents are continuously diminishing.

The army is optimistic that Negros Oriental would eventually be insurgency-free province this year.


BGen. Patrimonio said this vision, if realized will attract more investors and business opportunities, hence, more job and development for the Negrenses. (JCT/PIA7-Negros Oriental)