BY: FAYETTE C. RIÑEN
CEBU CITY, March 15 (PIA) – Seventeen
family-evacuees who are Yolanda survivors from Tacloban City signified their
intention to stay in Cebu rather than go back to Tacloban City are now being
assisted by the Cebu Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCCI) of their desire to
find jobs to make their wish possible.
CCCI Board Trustee Regan Rex King said
four members of the chamber are now interested to hire some of the Yolanda
survivors which they are assisting in terms of setting up the applicants for
job interviews.
“There are four companies that
committed to help in hiring the Yolanda victims. These establishments include
the areas in catering service, hotel and franchise business,” said King.
Since December last year, the Cebu City
Government has been hosting 56 families or equivalent to over 200 individuals
from Tacloban City at the Tent City along the South Road Properties. But their
stay is only temporary for a three-month period to allow them either to look
for jobs or go back to Tacloban City for inclusion of beneficiaries of
government programs in the rehabilitation process.
“Out of the 56 families, 17 families
opted to stay behind” after the March 23 deadline set by the Cebu City
Government to close down the Tent City, bared King.
“This is where the chamber comes in to
help and facilitate the placement of 17 jobs for these Yolanda survivors. We
are fast tracking the facilitation of job placements for them,” further said
King, who also chairs the CCCI Disaster Committee.
King said the chamber has over 700
members so this would not be that difficult to find 17 jobs or one job per
family so their desire of permanently staying in Cebu after March 23 could be
realized.
Meanwhile, the CCCI will soon
distribute five hi-speed sewing machines to benefit earthquake victims in
Bohol. “This is also our commitment to help our unfortunate brothers and
sisters in Bohol who were hit by a strong earthquake earn a living,” said King.
The sewing machines would be given to
people’s organizations in the town of Tubigon where weaving is a common means
of livelihood. King said the purchase of the sewing machines was taken from the
proceeds of the ‘Bangon SugBohol’ Concert in Cebu which garnered over P2
million pesos.
“Half of the income earned from the
concert was bought for relief goods while some of the amount left was also used
to purchase the sewing machines,” said King. (mbcn/PIA-7)
