Infotextblast


Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Cebu airport undergoes disaster preparedness training

 BY: RACHELLE M. NESSIA


LAPULAPU CITY, Cebu, April 1 (PIA) ---  Key personnel from the Mactan Cebu International Airport (MCIA) are undergoing a three-day disaster preparedness training starting March 31 in a bid to make the airport better prepared to respond to natural disaster situations. 


The training dubbed “Get Airports Ready for Disasters (GARD)” is conducted by United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Deutsche Post DHL. 

The training is attended by 55 key employees not only from MCIA but also from government line agencies and non-government organizations who were closely involved during the relief operations at Cebu airport in the heels of typhoon Yolanda

It can be recalled that the Philippine government made MCIA as the hub of international relief operations and aid coming into the country days after super storm Yolanda battered central Philippines.  

MCIA General Manager Nigel Paul Villarete said that before Yolanda struck, preparations were done to ensure that Cebu airport will immediately function a day after the storm, and for 12 days after, without water and electricity from the outside world. 

However, when the national government decided to turn MCIA as the hub for international relief aid, Villarete said they were unprepared for the massive cargo that came their way. 

“Nothing prepared us for the influx of that large volume of cargo… handling cargo that was three times or five times our normal capacity was something we were not prepared for,” admitted Villarete in his message during the GARD launching program yesterday. 

At its peak days, the Cebu airport normally handles about 130 tons of cargo per day. 

But on November 16, 2013 or eight days after the super typhoon, Villarete said the airport received nearly 1,000 tons of cargo with the airport handlers struggling to unload massive volumes of relief cargo being flown in via 747 aircrafts. 

Villarete said their capability to unload cargo for one 747 is around four hours and yet that day, there were three 747s arriving within two hours of each other. 

“That day was particularly difficult for us with some of the donors getting angry because we could not unload the cargo immediately,” Villarete recalled.

When the relief aid from Israeli government arrived - the third 747 aircraft to land at the airport that day - Villarete said their handlers could not unload the relief cargo until ten hours after. 

After the GARD training, Villarete said they aim to produce a manual of operations for disaster relief operations at the airport. 

The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) has earlier granted MCIA with an aerodrome certificate, the only airport in the Philippines given the distinction as the safest airport in the country. 

“This certificate means that we have all the manuals of the aerodrome on how to operate and we want to include as part of that manual of operations how to react to disaster and calamities,” he said. 

This is the second GARD training held by UNDP and DHL in the Philippines, with the first held in May last year at Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA). 

According to UNDP Philippines Country Director Maurice DeWulf, contingency planning and the GARD training are part of UNDP’s efforts to enhance preparedness.

“Given the archipelagic nature of the country, the airports were crucial to the distribution and deployment of debris clearing equipment and expert personnel—they also play a big role in maintaining the smooth flow of relief supplies and rescue personnel and facilitate the entry and eventual distribution of life-saving supplies,” said DeWulf. 


DeWulf is also hopeful that after the training, airport officials and personnel here together with the staff from ancillary agencies can craft a comprehensive action plan “that will keep the airport running smoothly should another crisis occur.” (RMN/PIA Cebu)