Infotextblast


Friday, May 2, 2014

BFAR-7: Over 600 new boats built for Yolanda-affected fishermen in north Cebu

BY: FAYETTE C. RIÑEN


CEBU CITY, May 2 (PIA) – Assistant Regional Director Allan Poquita of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR-7) bared 610 new boats have been constructed so far to be given to Yolanda-affected fishermen in north Cebu under its ‘AHON’ project. This is to assist fisherfolks resume their livelihood that has been disrupted after the disaster.




Poquita during this morning’s post-Yolanda press briefing on its agency’s rehabilitations efforts said over 200 new boats are ready for distribution. The boats are stationed at the construction site in barangay Pulangbato in Bogo City.

Breakdown of the newly-built motorized fishing boats up for distribution include 25 units each for the three municipalities of Pilar, Poro and Tudela in Camotes Island and 101 for Bantayan Island’s three towns of Madridejos with 25 and 40 for Sta. Fe and 36 for Bantayan proper, said Poquita.

“The BFAR aims to construct about 2,000 fishing boats for fishermen affected by Yolanda in northern Cebu with June as the target date for completion,” said the BFAR-7 assistant director.

Construction of the new boats will benefit some 2,200 fisherfolks in Cebu’s 11 northern towns covering 106 barangays while each boat is worth over P18,000, said Poquita. One boat unit is estimated at around P15,000 plus over P3,000 for the engine with 5.5 horsepower.

Fishermen whose fishing vessels were partially damaged by the typhoon have also received assistance from the BFAR-7 like marine plywood and copper nails to repair their boats, said Poquita.

“As of the latest count, BFAR-7 has distributed 2,918 marine plywood, 446 kilos of copper nails and 1,112 liters of marine epoxy to fisherfolks whose fishing vessels incurred partial damages,” said Poquita adding these materials are needed to repair their fishing boats.

Poquita also announced that some 2,348 pumpboat engine units will be distributed to fisherfolks.

As for its cash-for-work program, Poquita said P1.14 million has been released for salaries of Yolanda-affected individuals involved in the reconstruction of fishing boats which is apart from those involved in the repairs of fishing vessels.

Poquita said its agency also gave P33 million to the Cebu Provincial Government and P27 million to Bohol Province for the rehabilitation of seaweed farms and other aquaculture projects. (mbcn/fcr/PIA-7)