Infotextblast


Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Dengue cases in CV decreases in 2014

BY: HAZEL F. GLORIA




CEBU CITY, May 21 (PIA) --- The Department of Health (DOH) in region 7 reported an 81.7 percent decrease in dengue cases in Central Visayas for this year compared to the same period of last year.

Dr. Jonathan Neil Erasmo, Communicable Diseases Control Section Head of DOH-7 said 1,150 cases were reported from January 1 to May 17 of this year compared to last year with 6,294 cases.


The number of deaths caused by dengue also went down with 5 deaths this year compared to 21 deaths last year.

Based on the report, Cebu City had the most number of cases with 216 and 1 death, followed by Lapu-Lapu City with 122 cases while Dumaguete City in Negros Oriental with 98 cases and 1 death.

Minglanilla, Cebu and Sibulan in Negros Oriental recorded 38 cases while Tagbilaran City, Bohol had 39 cases.

Other reported dengue cases in Talisay City, Cebu-32; Carcar -22; Guihulngan-20 and Naga City, Cebu 19.

Ages people with dengue cases cases range from one month – 87 years old but most of those affected were under the 6-10 age group.

Dengue, as defined by the World Health Organization, is a viral infection transmitted by the bite of an infected female Aedes mosquito.

Meanwhile, the department intensified its campaign to fight against dengue through the “Aksyon Barangay Kontra Dengue” program which involve regular clean-up in the communities with the local officials and the people in the barangay.

DOH-7 regional director Jaime Bernadas reminded the public that prevention is the best defense against dengue, to maintain a clean environment or surroundings.

Bernadas urged the people to always check and clean those materials that may store water where mosquitoes can breed.

He also said that an increase in awareness is a factor of the decrease in dengue cases.(mbcn/HFG/PIA-7 with AGIO-7)