Fayette C. Riñen
CEBU, July 31 (PIA) -- “We are 95
percent ready."
This is the assurance given by the
top police chief in Central Visayas as the upcoming APEC event in Cebu is less
than a month away.
C/Supt. Prudencio Bañas, regional
director of the Police Regional Office (PRO7), said that by next week, the
security plan for APEC Cebu will be presented to the National Joint Task Force
as security for the delegates will be personalized.
Over 3,200 delegates from 21
economies are expected to gather in Cebu starting August 22 until September 6
to participate in different APEC-related meetings as police personnel will be
deployed in the identified meeting venues and the billet hotels, said Bañas
during the monthly 'Talakayan sa Isyung Pulis' or TSIP Forum this morning at the
PRO7 media conference room.
“Part of the security requirement is
the deployment of one policeman in every 100 meters in ceremonial routes with
the name of the assigned personnel specified,” said Bañas.
The PRO-7 chief said red alert will
be raised four days before the start of the first meeting and four days after
the completion of the meetings.
On the threat of terrorism, Bañas
said “so far, we have not received any report” on any groups that are out to
wreck havoc to the event adding that the greatest challenge is the traffic.
A series of dry runs will be
implemented including checking on the traffic flow to ensure that everything
would be smooth during the actual activities especially the Senior Officials
Meeting or SOM 3, bared Bañas.
In case of street rallies, Bañas
said their policy has always been ‘maximum tolerance’ as long as protesters do
not get violent as their right to air their grievances must also be respected
albeit in a peaceful manner.
Policemen will also be deployed in
eight identified tourist destinations in Cebu including Moalboal, Badian and
Osmeña Peak in Toledo City where delegates have the option to do some
sightseeing tours. (rmn/fcr/PIA7)