Infotextblast


Tuesday, September 1, 2015

No security threat, APEC-related crime reported in Cebu - PNP

 Ferliza Calizar-Contratista

CEBU CITY, September 1 (PIA) — The Philippine National Police (PNP) here reported that no APEC-related incidents were reported since the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation meetings in Cebu started this month.


Police Superintendent Rey Lyndon Lawas, spokesperson for Site Task Group Cebu, said in yesterday's briefing that there has been no reports of crimes related to APEC.

“For the first week of August, there is a decrease in crimes by six percent because there are more policemen deployed out in the field,” Lawas said.

Lawas said there has been no identified security threats so far, but they are continuously levelling up security measures especially with more delegates expected to come in the province until September 11.

“The peace and order is not only attributed to the participation of all the government agencies but also the involvement of the community as a whole,” Lawas said.

Lawas said there are so far, there have been 1,492 delegates that arrived in Cebu for the Apec meetings , of which more than 300 are local and more than 1,000 are foreigners. 

On the other hand, Lawas said they also welcome any investigation to be conducted on the allowance of the policemen detailed to secure APEC meetings here. 

Senator Antonio Trillanes IV in his recent visit to Cebu said he will call for an investigation on the alleged discrepancy in the allowance and benefits to the assigned policemen.

“We understand the intentions of the good senator and we are ready to answer questions if need be, we are ready with the documents,” Lawas said.

There are 3,000 policemen deployed in Central Visayas and nearby regions for the holding of the APEC meetings in Cebu. 


The meetings will run from August 22 until September 11. (rmn/fcc/PIA7-Cebu)