BY: FERLIZA C. CONTRATISTA
CEBU CITY, May 28 (PIA) --- Brigada Eskwela gathered more than P111 million worth of donated materials and free services in the region.
Dr. Carmelita Dulangon, Department of Education (DepEd-7) Regional Director, said they had accumulated over P111 million in labor, materials, food, and cash from parent and group volunteers showing their cooperation in preparing for the opening of classes.
In terms of manpower volunteers, the number reached 744,000 in Central Visayas.
Dulangon in last week's Kapihan sa PIA said classes will start on June 2 in all public schools in the entire country.
“Classes will start officially on June 2 with or without a classroom,” Dulangon said, referring to the areas in northern Cebu that were badly hit by typhoon Yolanda last year.
She said in the storm-hit northern areas, make shift classrooms are set up for the students.
She also encouraged the teachers to lift the spirit of the students.
“When you go to school on June 2, wear your lipstick so that you will be beautiful and inspiring to these children who are victims of the typhoon and earthquake,” Dulangon said.
Dulangon thanked non government organizations like Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc. (RAFI) for being their consistent partner in school repairs and construction.
In the typhoon-affected towns, Dulangon said, RAFI was able to repair more than 200 classrooms.
As much as they want the repairs and construction to be sped up, she said that they have to comply with the procedures set by the Commission on Audit (COA) which takes time.
NGOs, on the other hand, can proceed immediately when funds for labor and materials arrive, she said.
At least 300 classrooms need to be constructed in the northern towns while more than 1,000 need repairs. (rmn/fcc/PIA7-Cebu)